“Your Spacious Self will teach you how to clear your home and quiet your mind.”–Marci Shimoff, bestselling author of Happy For No Reason
“Stephanie Bennett Vogt’s book is an enlightening combination of wisdom, humor, and common sense. It takes those daily (and sometimes annoying) tasks in home tending and transforms them into an experience that will open your heart and feed your soul.”–Arielle Ford, author Wabi Sabi Love
Behind our stress, clutter, and confusion is an infinitely spacious place one might call stillness or joy. This is our natural state of being, yet we hardly know it because we are caught in a web of attachment to things, worries, and outcomes.
“Clutter.” It is not just what you see spilling out of your closet. It is also the noise spinning around in your head, old habits that no longer serve and support you, stuck energy. Clutter is any thing or thought that gets in the way of experiencing your best life.
Your Spacious Self integrates the depth and teachings of the original award-winning book with all-new nourishing lessons and daily practices in slowing down, simplifying, and self-care. If Anne Lamott and The Artist’s Way went on a clearing adventure, it would be this jewel of a book!
Your Spacious Self is the culmination of years of study, deep inquiry, and personal experience. Here’s what you’ll experience that is different (and discover why most clearing efforts, though well-intentioned, do not last):
- Clutter is defined broadly as the result of imbalance, (mis)perception, stuck energy. This book identifies the myriad ways we humans hold on and create imbalance in our lives.
- Clutter is not the problem, it is the holding on to it that creates a force-field of stuckness that clouds our perceptions and paralyzes our life. It is not the clutter but how we relate to it that needs our attention and compassion.
- Clearing is not linear: Clearing in this book in not a finite task that we do when we have the time, energy, or willpower, but an ongoing – daily – practice that promotes well-being and letting go. It is a journey that balances “doing” with a mindful “non-doing” – a receptive approach that invites us to slow down, observe, allow, listen, trust, surrender… remember.
- Clearing side-effects are normal: Feeling overwhelmed (stuck, confused, congested…), when clearing out a closet, for example, is a normal and welcome by-product of the journey. It is what happens naturally when we release stuck energy. Allowing these “weather patterns” to arise without fixing, changing, or personalizing them, is the key to lasting change.
- Talking about clearing IS clearing: Your Spacious Self is unique because it gives you the option and the tools to set up and maintain a guided six-week (or six month) support group. It shows you how to organize a “Clearing Circle” with your friends or book group, and includes discussion topics that are easy to modify to suit any group or size.
- Clearing never ends: Written by a gifted teacher with over 35 years of experience who knows how to engage and inspire her audience, Your Spacious Self is designed to promote a clearing “way of life” that is easy, fun, and lasting.